I'm an independent computer technician operating in the Clackamas / Milwaukie / Portland area and I've assisted many former Comprite customers. The general consensus is that when they feel the labor price exceeds the flat rate, they rush the job, cut corners, and make mistakes or add extra charges without consulting the customer.

If you leave having only paid their basic flat-rate fee, I can practically guarantee you that whatever service you paid for wasn't worth the money spent. That's how these flat-rate computer repair places work. They bank on the hope that you don't know what's wrong with your computer so that they can still charge you the full flat-rate even if an issue only takes 10 minutes to fix.

That's another thing; I don't know what these guys do in their store all day, but it's a little disconcerting to hear from a customer that a 300MB (megabytes; not gigabytes) file backup off of a healthy hard drive takes three days and an entire overnight file transfer session. When I was called to restore the backup, it wasn't compressed or even in it's original folder structure. Every file in the backup was inaccessible because they forgot to transfer file access credentials once they moved the raw file backup to the new laptop. What's worse? The majority of that 300MB file backup wasn't even personal documents. They were backing up the sample wallpapers, pictures, music, and video clips that install as default with Windows. Without the uselessness, the backup would have only been 40MB! How much did this cost? Only $109! What a deal!

I can buy a 1GB flash drive for less than $5.00 and waste no more than 10 minutes copying that same 300MB in a format that can be restored and accessed under different account credentials on another computer. Five dollars and ten minutes.

For three days, the client called and asked why her computer wasn't done and each time she was told that it was being worked on "as we speak". On the third day, she was told that it had been left on all night and had JUST completed right before she called. Really? It took all night to do something that should have taken 10 minutes.

I've also had two clients who have reported that CompRite reformatted their computers over simple MBR boot issues. Without getting into some lofty explanation, fixing a MBR problem takes 20 minutes. No file backup necessary. A full reformat takes up to four hours. This logic fails me.

This isn't the only example I have of CompRite's staff being less-than-forthright, but I guess I should say that there are customers who leave CompRite completely satisfied and that this could very well be fringe examples on bad days; at any rate, I don't think CompRite's staff should lie to their customers, even if it is just to save face. What's wrong with telling a customer that their computer is still in ***? Oh, that's right; they might insist that the business is taking to long and want to take their business elsewhere. Dag, yo... why so money hungry? Must be all that excessive advertising. It's certainly not going to your tech's paychecks.

Comments

GiftedRottweiler

This is a very true statement. COMPRITE is a SCAM business no matter where they are located and I have never seem so many fake positive reviews-

Eugene, Oregon, United States #682220

you are full of *** *** just trying to promote yourself first of all your 109 for 300MB where did you come up with those numbers by looking at the flate rate on the web site you are a complete ***

Clackamas, Oregon, United States #646955

Hello everyone, I am a representative of CompRite. We have found that the individual who posted this complaint has copied and pasted it several times all over the various online message boards.

What's interesting, is that this is not a customer of CompRite's, but rather a disgruntled competitor, who has never done business with our company! This is no way to do business, sir/ madam! If you don't have enough business or customers, I suggest you come talk to us. We can give you a few tips on attracting and retaining over 30,000 customers, as we have in the Portland area since 2001 and have built an extremely loyal customer base, growing every year.

Ask to speak with John at any time. Good luck and I hope you come to your senses and stop spamming the internet with fake complaints.